Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Horse Quilt

So yes to answer Kelly's question this was my gift. 

The Mom-to-be is from Texas and loves horses (hence the theme) so I had the star-burst idea stuck in my head. Originally she was sure she was having a boy but it turned out to be a girl so I switched my original blue and green plans for light and bright pink. I am really happy with how it turned out. I did it in voile because they will always live in Florida so warmth isn't needed often. I didn't unfortunately think through how thin voile and piecing probably wasn't a good idea... so in the end I had to double the fabric. Which was a ginormous pain in the butt. Piecing a wonky design like this is bad enough with out trying to work with double the layers. In the end it definitely isn't the most square quilt but I think the funkiness of it will hopefully make up for it. 
I was originally planning to applique the horses but mom mentioned painting them - duh! So I cut horse stencils (using the same design that I put on the invites) So there is a horse for each family member. 
The stitching is hand quilted. I also stitched her name into the quilt just because it sounded awesome! 

Hopefully they enjoy it. 

2 comments:

  1. Totally awesome!!! Yeah giant pieces of voile do not sound fun to work with. You did a fantastic job. And painting the horses on was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Love this quilt...front and back :)

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!